Reopening of rent payment program for tenants and landlords delayed until December | Best Stories


ILLINOIS (WAND) – The reopening of a rent payment program for tenants and landlords has been postponed until December, state officials said on Monday.

The Illinois Housing Development Authority (IHDA) has announced that the Illinois Rent Payment Program is being delayed because a provider needs more time to ensure the app platform is functioning properly. The money from this round will still be distributed to approved Illinois before the end of 2021, as was originally planned, according to a press release. The full version is attached to this story as a PDF file.

During the first cycle of the ILRPP, launched in May, IHDA executives said they approved more than 57,000 applications and paid nearly $ 540 million on behalf of tenants facing hardships from the COVID pandemic -19. Since 2020, Illinois has provided more than $ 776 million in emergency rental assistance to help more than 103,100 seniors, families and others in Illinois stay safely.

Applications will now be accepted from Monday, December 6 at 11:59 p.m., from Sunday January 9 to this link.

IHDA officials said the department is “continually learning” from previous rounds of applications and looking to improve the process so funds can quickly reach homeowners and tenants affected by the pandemic. The portal needs further testing “to ensure that it can accommodate the tens of thousands of applicants who may seek help from the ILRPP,” the statement said.

“While this is delaying the date on which we will start accepting applications, IHDA is committed to meeting the initial rent assistance payment schedule to tenants and landlords in December,” said the executive director of IHDA, Kristin Faust. “We recognize that this delay may be of concern to tenants facing eviction, but help is available for tenants now.”

The statement noted that requests from tenants who require immediate rental assistance assistance are currently being accepted by the Illinois Department of Social Services (IDHS). Households requesting assistance should contact an IDHS service provider agency to request rental assistance. Provider agencies can help a person determine if they are eligible and can help them apply for housing assistance.

People can find a list of provider agencies, as well as organizations helping with utility bills, free legal aid, and additional services, here.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.